Sunday, 12 February 2012

How to make your own yoghurt - detailed

On my latest 'bargain bin delights' post, some of you expressed interest in making your own yoghurt. I realised that my previous post regarding home yoghurt production was not too detailed, so here is an updated version, with updated dollar saving calculations!

Making yogurt is one of the most useful and rewarding tasks I perform. It is as important to me as brushing my teeth! Making your own yoghurt is not hard at all and does not take much time or effort.

Why I make home made yoghurt:
 @~>~~Saving money
The above table shows the cost of purchasing yoghurt compared to making your own, using the method I will explain below. The table assumes that a litre of purchased yoghurt costs $5 and that 1kg of milk powder costs $7 and will make 7 litres of yoghurt.

You can see that after just 7 litres, you are out in front by $4! After 52 litres of home made yoghurt, you are out in front by $180!

@~>~~No scary things
I am not a fan of these 'popular' yoghurts, marketed to help your IBS, assist in digestion, assist in your well being blah blah blah. They nearly all contain flavouring, colours, thickeners or something else scary. Oh and stupid amounts of sugar! You will not become slim by eating sugar laden yoghurt! Yes, there are good natural yoghurts available containing no scary ingredients, but they are also quite expensive....and I eat around 3 litres a week!

@~>~~It tastes so good
It really does! I find my home made yoghurt tastes better than the expensive brands I used to buy!



How to make your own yoghurt, in detail

There are a few methods by which you can make yoghurt at home. My method uses milk powder, as I find it quick, reliable and cheap. If you wish to make yoghurt using normal milk, you can find the method via Google.

The method below will explain how to make yoghurt for the first time as well as how to make it from there on.

What you need

Batch 1:

For your very first batch, you will need a starter culture. I recommend the EasiYo sachets - low fat Greek. You can buy a pack as displayed above which includes three sachets of base and culture.

Batch 1 and future batches:

The only difference between your first batch and future batches, is that you will no longer require the EasiYo sachets. You can instead use milk powder, which is cheaper.

So in summary, you require:
  • EasiYo yohurt maker (approx. $20 from Big W) - incubator with a plastic 'cup' with lid
  • 1 EasiYo low fat Greek yoghurt base and culture sachet (approx $9 for a 3 sachet pack from Big W. Have also seen these at IGA supermarkets) (FIRST BATCH ONLY)
  • 1.5 cups (approx 130g) full cream milk powder ($7/kg from Coles) (IGNORE FOR FIRST BATCH)
  • 1 tablespoon yoghurt from your previous batch (IGNORE FOR FIRST BATCH)
  • Hot water

What you need to do

1. Fill the plastic cup with 500ml of room temperature water.


2. Place 1.5 cups of milk powder into the plastic cup. (If this is your first batch, empty the contents of the EasiYo sachet into the water)


3. Mix with a spoon, making sure no chunks of milk powder (Or EasiYo base and culture powder) are sitting on the bottom of the cup.


4. If this is your first batch, IGNORE this step. Place one tablespoon of yoghurt (from a previous batch) into the cup and mix in.


5.  Fill the cup to the top, with room temperature water.


6. Screw the lid onto the cup and shake to combine all contents.


7. Pour HOT (just boiled) water into the EasiYo incubator, so the water just reaches the top of the red stand.


8. Place the cup onto the red stand, inside the incubator.


9. Screw the lid onto the incubator.


10. Leave the cup in the incubator for 8-12 hours. Do not leave the cup in the incubator for more than 24 hours.

11. After 8-12 hours, open the lid of the incubator and take the cup out, and open the lid. YOGHURT! :) Place the yoghurt cup into the fridge.


Important points
  • You only require the EasiYo sachet for the first litre of yoghurt you make. This provides you with a culture which will make your yoghurt 'grow'.
  • For each and every batch after the first, use 1.5 cups (130g) of  full cream milk powder and one tablespoon of yoghurt in place of the EasiYo sachet. The yoghurt provides you with a culture.
  • IMPORTANT: NEVER eat all of the yoghurt! You always need AT LEAST one tablespoon left over, which provides you with a culture to use in your next batch. Whenever I am half way through the 'cup' of yoghurt, I transfer it to another container and start a new batch. This means, I always have yoghurt to use as a culture.
  • IMPORTANT: If you accidentally eat all of the yoghurt (or you go on holiday and the yoghurt 'dies') and do not have one tablespoon left over, you will need to start over again, using the EasiYo sachet.

    Tips/Other
    • Use full cream milk powder. I have read on the internet and heard from family members that skim milk powder results in a thin, runny yoghurt.
    • Use only one tablespoon of yoghurt as a culture in each batch. Using more will not improve your yoghurt.
    • Make yoghurt
    • The longer you leave the yoghurt in the cup, the more tart it will become.
    • The yoghurt may seem a little runny, but I find it thickens up in the fridge.
    • Yes, milk powder contains soy lecithin which I do not like (I think soy is evil). However, whenever I go outside, I am either breathing in exhaust fumes or cigarette smoke from people smoking near shopping centre doors. I am sure these are more dangerous than some soy lecithin.
    • Do be aware that home made yoghurt is not going to be all creamy and thick like one of the 'popular' brand yoghurts. It will be more like one of the natural yoghurts.

    So there it is. You should have all the information you need, in order to make yoghurt at home:) If you have any questions, please leave a comment and I shall answer or find an answer for you.

    13 comments:

    1. While I'm not a massive yoghurt fan, I really applaud you for making your own!

      ReplyDelete
    2. I love how you plated the yoghurt and styled it. It looks so pretty with those colours. Congrats on making your own yoghurt - that's something I have never done!

      ReplyDelete
    3. Oooo... such an interesting post, although I wouldn't make it. I hardly ever eat yoghurt and only crave it probably once every 2 months, so in the long run it's cheaper for me to buy :)

      ReplyDelete
    4. ****Anna****
      Hehe thank you:)

      ****Hotly Spiced****
      Yes, the colours do look pretty with one another:) I never thought to do it until my auntie told me about it. I never knew there was such a 'machine'.

      ****Mis I-Hua****
      Wow, that is very little yoghurt!:) Yes, then it is not worth making it as it would go off!

      ReplyDelete
    5. Oh nice! Always want to make yoghurt.

      ReplyDelete
    6. Haha no way! I have just started making my own yogurt too and I have a post coming up about this. Clearly great minds think alike ;)

      ReplyDelete
    7. ****Penny****
      Now you know one way to do so:)

      ****Lorraine****
      Haha that is funny! I look forward to seeing your post and how you make yours:)

      ReplyDelete
    8. Wow i go through yoghurt like no tomorrow at home...but somehow I've never thought of making it at home...but it doesn't seem as difficult as I expected...how long does the yoghurt last in the fridge? :D

      Thanks for sharing! Happy Valentines Day!

      ReplyDelete
    9. ****Daisy****
      Good question. According to the EasiYo brochure that comes with the kit, the yoghurt will last for up to two weeks. However, mine is lucky to remain in the fridge for two days, because I am like you and eat so much:)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Hahaha then that's great I have nothing to worry bout :) Cuz i was worried that it'll go off within 3 to 4 days ~

        Ps. I'm out of yoghurt AGAIN.... damn it :P

        Delete
      2. Ohh there's actually a 'reply' button on here...never knew that!:)

        Defintaley there is nohting to worry about regarding it going off:) But you're out of yoghurt - that is something to worry about!

        Delete
    10. made a yogurt today- worked out ok, remembered the tablespoon from the prev tub.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Great to hear that your yoghurt worked out well:)

        Delete